Monday, March 31, 2008

Telus Mobility Plan - Free Evenings and Weekends... NOT

Sphere: Related Content

Fresh from a search on Telus Mobility!

By: Andrew Muir

The Future is Un-Friendly: Why TELUS Mobility Sucks So Hard

Recently I’ve had a bit of trouble with a company called TELUS Mobility. For those of you who don’t know, they’re a cellular provider here in British Columbia, and they suck balls.

I’m on a 3-year plan with them. I have always had a contract that includes free evenings and weekends. The problem is that they changed the details of my contract without telling me, and as a result I was being chargedfor my evenings and weekends. My bills were soaring from an average of $45/month to $120/month. It has taken several months and many phonecalls to even begin scratching the surface of the problem. I eventually figured out their mistake, and insisted upon being reimbursed. I have yet to receive their statement of how much financial restitution I will receive. But you know what? The money isn’t even the point.

The point is that cellular providers are committing highway robbery. Companies are supposed to serve the greater good of society by providing a reliable service at a reasonable price. As consumers, we should have control over the market. When did we begin accepting their terms so helplessly? My friend Jason was charged a $70 “Convenience Fee” just because he bought a phone from a friend and switched over. Luckil he had the gall to get it back, but what about the people who are too meek to stand up for themselves? Is that ethical? And where does that $70 go? It doesn’t take much labour (or a great deal of resources) for TELUS to make the switch. That $70 is pure profit, and it goes straight to funding fat bonuses for TELUS’s overpaid executives.

Well the jokes on them. One by one people are gonna just get more and more pissed off, and eventually they will either switch to another mobile service, or abandon their cellphones altogether. At some point we have to ask ourselves whether or not cellular phones are really so necessary, and whether they are actually worth the astonishing amount of money that we tend to pay through bullshit hidden fees. Eventually people will get too frustrated with their careless customer service, and they will just give up and switch to alternative means of communication (VoIP for example).

So I’m going to do my duty to the cellular market. I’m switching providers when my shitty contract is up, and I recommend to all my friends and family to stay away from TELUS Mobility. I have had too many problems with their service, and I’ve spoken to many other customers who have had similar complaints. I find their “voice recognition” customer service hotline creepy and unhelpful. Their dealers are slimy,deceitful and incompetent. Their “future is friendly” ad campaign with the cute animals insults my intelligence. Also, their products and packages downright suck. Don’t buy anything from TELUS!! And if you find that the other cellular providers are the same, then use a payphone. I swear, if they don’t clean up their acts, their business will only suffer in the longrun. Consumer satisfaction is the guiding force of the market, and by ignoring this they are alienating themselves from the market in a significant way.

http://alertedeye.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/the-future-is-un-friendly-why-telus-mobility-sucks-so-hard/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HIGHWAY ROBBERY is right. Telus Mobility has charged me a $60.00 reconnection fee every single month for the past year. I have a lot of bills every month, $4900 per month. Sometimes I could not afford the bill, other times I simply forgot that I had not paid it. Telus Mobility insists that they send a text message prior to suspending service, except that I have not received this message for the last 4 times that they suspended my phone. I paid Telus Mobility $300.00 24 days ago, and they suspended me yesterday because I did not pay $71 that was still outstanding ($60 of which was a disconnection fee). On top of that, when I phoned in to discuss the cancellation of my services, the fellow that I spoke to decided that I could no longer be trusted and put a note on my account not to hook me up until I paid the charges that were not yet due, as well. Prior to voicing my complaint, I was told to pay $71. Not to mention the fact that I had explained to the fellow that I would be happy to pay off the whole bill today, even though I only needed to pay $71. For some reason he felt the need to act rudely toward me, and make me angry about paying what I was going to pay in the beginning - such great customer service! So we paid the full amount, as we had originally planned, and phoned to reconnect service. They did, then disconnected me in the middle of a call five minutes later, because they were not supposed to reconnect unless we paid by Credit Card. It would not surprise me if I saw a second reconnection fee on my account for calling back in and getting it hooked up again the same day.

Reconnection fees are being used as a primary source of income for Telus Mobility. In fact, I believe that the $60.00 fee for a $71.00 late amount works out to more revenue than a loan shark would have made. Telus Mobility should definitely change the nature of their service. They're are not a cellular mobility provider, they are a loan shark who pries on the unfortunate status of the low income population.

I am not even waiting for my contract to end. It is actually CHEAPER to pay the lowest monthly plan and pay for the bulk of my services through another provider.

COST OF CELLULAR PLAN WITH TELUS:
$150 (shared) + $60 reconnection fees for 2 phones = $210

COST OF CELLULAR PLAN WITH ROGERS:
$150 (shared) + $40 minimum plan amount with Telus = $190

The best part about it? Telus Mobility will lose $170/ month from my decision.

I cannot wait until they begin seeing the effects of their horrible company policies!

Unknown said...

I chose Telus' $20 for 200 minute plan in a 3 year contract (and a Motorola Razr2 PCS phone). I also agreed to try out some additional options like web access and text messaging knowing that each time "I used those options" there would be a charge but I wanted these options in case I needed to download updates from the web or if I wanted to send a text message. Unknown to me, simply by agreeing to have web access, Telus took it upon themselves to send my phone web update requests so each time I used my cell phone, it would check the web for updates and simply by agreeing to text messaging, Telus decided to send me daily informational text messages each of which cost me an additional $1.00. I was not a heavy cell phone user but I typically used my phone 3 or 4 times a month and I never sent a text message or checked the web myself but my monthly bills were close to $70.00 for this $20/200 plan. That is gouging the customer.

Anonymous said...

telus mobility is the worst company ever to deal with ... there customer service is horible, they put people on the phone that has mental problems to deal with .. there is never a manager around to talk to ... I do not know why I stayed with them for so long ... over 15 years ... everytime I write a ba post they DELETE IT ... but I just signed a three year contract with them and had problems for 3 month with my phone and the features on it .. when I talked to 6 different people asking for a new phone .. they tell me that I signed the contract already and they can't do anything for me ....

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I am with telus mobility in ontario, and they are the best. The only thing they have done wrong was when i bought the phone and signed the contract in store, the girl forgot to add on my plan features to my account, so everything i was doing, i was getting billed for, but once i noticed this error, when i informed them, they apologized and gave me that credit to my account and added on the features that i had origionally ordered. ie: free evenings and weekends and blackberry bundle. Thanks, but telus does not suck.

Anonymous said...

yep, service suspended here without prior notice, notification afterward, or so much as a return phone-call when i spoke to the "service" center in Guatemala. i was ensured of a call in 48 hours; long enough to be without service, but now over a week and still nothing.

time for jilted customers to flood the CRTC with complaints.

Anonymous said...

right. there reps are just fucking retarded bullshit cunts

Anonymous said...

Well, like others my experience has not been great.If my service is being disconnected because I have not paid my bill...don't just take the liberty to reconnect and charge me for it. Wait until I call and have it reconnected then.This time I didn't even know I was disconnected and the bill does not state the reconnection date.I think they just slid it in there. This has happened before and I got some lady that liked to argue and said that is how we do business...great.

Jenny Bean said...

I paid 1000$ to get Telus out of my life. I was 'awarded' a free blackberry from them and after asking SEVERAL times if my monthly bill would be different from it's current amount I was assured it would be the same. After the initial 3 month period was up my bills increased 3 fold (from 35$ to 90+$!) i was told this was the smallest plan I could have with a blackberry because at the time you couldn't 'opt out' of data etc. When i phoned Telus to get it straightened out, they told me that no matter what the gent in the mall kiosk had told me, it wouldn't matter because he was under contract to Telus and not actually a Telus employee, there was nothing they could do about my bill. WHAT A SCAM. Thanks for the 'free blackberry'!! After 1 year (of 100$ cell bills) I was able to drop it down to 20$ per month for the remainder of my contract and moved over to Bell. Have never been happier. I will never use them for any sort of service ever again.

Welcome to Telus Mobility Review

This blog is dedicated to sharing your real experiences with Telus Canada, Telus Mobility, MyTelusMobility, and anything about Telus.

Do you have a Telus customer service or Telus customer support story (or nightmare) to tell? Now you have a special place to project your voice to thousands of Canadians who might be considering a Telus cell phone. Please enjoy this blog and post your story, rant, or anything you find on the web that you think is relevant.

If you like this blog and think more people should be reading it, here's what to do:

1. Tell your friends
2. Link to us from your blog (we will link to yours too)
3. Don't have a blog? Make a blog and link to us

Note: Posts on this site are the opinions of people who originally wrote them and do not represent the opinion of telusmobility-review.blogspot.com.

Your Comments

Please keep your comments clean and well written. I plan to keep comments posted (both good and bad) as they relate to Telus. I will not tolerate any hate messages or excessive use of profanity.